Blueberry Banana Bread
A big focus for us at the moment is staying healthy - even with our current change in routine. One of the easiest ways to do this is to eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and wholegrains. Though according to the Heart Foundation, less than 10% of us in Australia eat the right amount. Fruit and vegetables contain lots of fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants - necessary for our daily health. It’s recommended that we aim to eat at least five serves of vegetables and two serves of fruit every single day.
Our Blueberry Banana Bread, is a great way to up your daily fruit intake whilst also feeling like you’re indulging yourself with a treat. We call banana bread, bread - but really it’s more like cake! Cake that’s good for you? Yes please!
Need more convincing? Bananas are a great source of Vitamin B6, Fiber, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin C and Manganese. And new Harvard studies also show that eating more blueberries (and strawberries) may be a tasty way to protect your heart and linked to lowered heart disease.
Now, lets bake!
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice (or cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup reduced fat milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- 2 eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Line a 13.5cm x 24cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- Mash two of the bananas in a bowl with a fork - set aside the third banana (as we’ll be using this to top the bread). Add the eggs and the milk to the bananas and stir.
- Now stir in the brown sugar. Sift the flour, bicarb and spice the banana mixture. Stir until just combined, then fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into loaf pan - slice your remaining banana lengthways and place it on the top with the smooth side face up.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving warm or toasted.
Tip: 2 large ripe bananas should yield 1 cup of mashed banana. Once completely cooled, place in an airtight container and keep for up to 3 days. Slice and freeze individual pieces in snap lock bags and keep for up to 3 months.
ActivateFit.Gym is a community hub that offers students, staff, alumni, and the public access to state-of-the-art gym facilities. Our gym supports its members in enhancing their physical, social, and emotional wellbeing whilst inspiring them to achieve their health and fitness goals. We’re all about community here and want our members to feel welcomed and comfortable. And since we’re not able to physically access our gym for the moment - we’re bringing to you ways to stay healthy from home.
Follow us on Facebook @ActivateFit.Gym for more healthy recipes to get you through ISO - and keep us up to date on your fitness and health journey, so that we’re all ready to hit that treadmill running together when this is over.