Pineapple Fried Rice
One of the easiest ways to stay healthy with a change in routine is to eat healthy! This means eating plenty of fruit, vegetables and wholegrains. Fruit and vegetables contain lots of fibre, vitamins and minerals - necessary for our daily health. It’s recommended that we aim to eat at least five serves of vegetables and two serves of fruit every single day. One such fruit we recommend eating is the pineapple!
Pineapples are a sweet, juicy and healthy fruit, originating in South America where early European explorers named it after a pinecone. It is packed with nutrients, antioxidants and enzymes that can fight inflammation and disease. Pineapples can defend your body from harmful free radicals and disease, help your digestion, increase energy intake and boost metabolism, nourish your hair, skin, nails and teeth!
To honour the almighty pineapple - we’ve put together a healthy, instagram worthy fried rice for you to make at home. Feel free to swap out these vegetables for your favourites; such as onion, chilli, peas, corn, spinach… anything really!
What you will need:
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 pineapple, centre scooped out and diced
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa/rice blend
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil and cook spring onion, carrots, pineapple, capsicum and ginger until soft and
pineapple begins to caramelise (approx 3 min)
- Add cooked rice/quinoa blend to pan and cook for approx 3 minutes.
- Add tamari, stir through and spoon out into hollowed pineapple (or your serving dish).
- Add squeeze of lime and garnish with herbs, nuts and seeds.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (optional) and serve.
ActivateFit.Gym is a community hub that offers students, staff, alumni, and the public access to state-of-the-art gym facilities. Our gym supports its members in enhancing their physical, social, and emotional wellbeing whilst inspiring them to achieve their health and fitness goals. We’re all about community and want our members to feel welcomed and comfortable. And since we’re not able to physically access our gym for the moment - we’re bringing to you ways to stay healthy from home.
Follow us on Facebook @ActivateFit.Gym for more healthy recipes - and keep us up to date on your fitness and health journey!