Green Week Photo Comp, 12 April – 6 May
Dig up the hard drives, log onto your cloud or pick up your camera, the Green Week photo competition is back for 2021.
This year’s theme is:
Build back better: The COVID pandemic has caused pain and shocks throughout economies, communities and families around the world. This year, hopefully, things will slowly stabilise and we can re-group, re-connect and rebuild. But can we build back better and make a fairer, more just and sustainable society. Help reimagine a better world.
The competition is open to all current UTS students, staff and alumni, TAFE NSW (Sydney region) students, staff and alumni and UTS College students are eligible to enter.
Submit your best photo and you could win:
First prize: $400 Coles/Myer voucher
Second prize: $250 Coles/Myer voucher
People’s Choice Award: UTS Merchandise Pack (valued at $150)
Entries open on Monday 12 April and close at midnight, Thursday 6 May 2021.
Ready to enter?
- Entries open on Monday 12 April and close at midnight, Thursday 6 May 2021.
- To enter, submit your entry via the Green Week Photo Comp Google Form.
- Your image file must be named with your first and last name, and image title.
- Your image can be of any ratio or shape, with a minimum pixel dimension of 2000 x 2000 pixels and JPEG compressed at quality 10 in Photoshop or 80% in Lightroom.
- Only one entry per person.
- Your photo should relate to the competition theme above.
- This year’s shortlisted exhibition will be available on the ActivateUTS Facebook page from 10 – 14 May 2021. Photo Comp winners will be announced on Friday 14 May.
Submissions will be judged by three judges. Let’s meet them:
Alumni of TAFE NSW and award-winning professional photographer
University Art Curator, UTS
President, UTS Photography Society
Entries will be shortlisted to the best photographs, which will make up the online exhibition. The exhibition will be available on the ActivateUTS Facebook page from 10 – 14 May 2021.
- Winners of first and second place will be announced on Friday 14 May 2021.
- Judges will consider concept, creative direction, composition, communication of the competition theme, and overall aesthetic appeal.
- The winner of the People’s Choice Award will be announced during the exhibition period, on Friday 14 May 2021. The entry with the greatest number of likes on Facebook will be crowned The People’s Choice Award.
Who is eligible to enter?
All current UTS students, staff and alumni, TAFE NSW (Sydney region) students, staff and alumni and UTS College students are eligible to enter.
When do I need to enter by?
Entries for the Green Week Photo Comp close at midnight on Thursday 6 May 2021.
Are there requirements to my file?
Your image must be a minimum pixel dimension of 2000 x 2000 pixels and JPEG compressed at quality 10 in Photoshop or 80% in Lightroom.
Can I add more info or make edits to my submission?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make edits to your submission once it’s been submitted via the Google form. We encourage you to triple check your submission before clicking ‘Submit’.
How do I win the People’s Choice Award?
Shortlisted entries will be shared on the ActivateUTS Facebook page on Friday 14 May 2021. Voting will remain open until 12pm, Friday 14 May 2021. The winner of the People’s choice award will be based on the submission with the most likes.
Can I submit an entry multiple times?
Participants can only submit one entry. If multiple entries are submitted per participant, only one entry will be considered.
- The competition is open to all University of Technology Sydney (UTS) students, staff, and alumni, TAFE NSW Sydney region students, staff, and alumni and UTS College students. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- To enter you must submit your image (minimum pixel dimension of 2000 x 2000 pixels and JPEG compressed at quality 10 in Photoshop or 80% in Lightroom) via the Green Week Photo Competition form before midnight, Thursday 6 May 2021.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any image they submit has been taken with the permission of the subject and does not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Should the subject be under 18 years of age, the entrant is required to submit a letter of permission from the subject’s parent or guardian.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The organisers are not responsible for any loss, damage or non-receipt of entries however so caused.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- Participants can only submit one entry each.
- All entrants will be notified if they are finalists in the competition on Friday 7 May, 2021 and all shortlisted photographs will be on display in the digital exhibition from 10 -14 May 2021.
- The first and second prizes will be awarded to the entries that the judging panel consider to be the most creative, visually appealing and reflect the competition theme.
- The People’s Choice award will be awarded to the photograph receiving the most likes on the Facebook photo album, with the winner announced on Friday 14 May 2021.
- By submitting an entry, the participant agrees to the condition that any image submitted for the contest may be used by the competition organisers for not-for-profit advocacy and promotional purposes, including but not limited to promotions across UTS, ActivateUTS and TAFE NSW channels.
- The photographer will retain copyright of the photograph that they submit in the competition. Any photograph used by competition organisers will be credited to the photographer.
- Any image that is inappropriate or contains vulgarity will be disqualified from the competition at the discretion of the competition organisers.
- It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules.
- Participants are bound by UTS policies, ActivateUTS policies, and any relevant state and/or national legislation.
- Finally, photographers should be mindful of COVID19 social distancing and movement restrictions. Stay safe.