Want to see your design showcased at The Underground UTS?
ActivateUTS is excited to announce that we're giving the old food court at the Underground UTS a glow up for 2022! It will be the home of student life - a hang out space for UTS students to meet, eat and chill out beyond the classroom.
To ensure we make it the ideal place to be for students, what better way than to open the design of the Underground UTS to you, the student body!
This is your opportunity to make your mark on the space by using your unique and artistic flair. Yes, this means we’ll give you your own spot in the food court at the Underground UTS for you to paint, draw, print, whatever it is, your design on the walls (if shortlisted).– cue mega bragging rights!
Whether you are a design extraordinaire or it’s something you like to do as a hobby, it’s time to let your creativity shine. All you have to do is submit your interest and tell us what your design entails here:
From there, our expert panel of judges will shortlist the entries to proceed and develop your design onto a real-life sized mural at the old food court. You will be provided with all the tools – whether you want to print or paint your design – along with payment for each shortlisted candidate.
What you get:
- Payment: Depending on the size placement of your design, you will get $450-$750 for your design and time (if completed).
- Bragging Rights: Your design will be a displayed as a mural (printed or painted) at The Underground UTS for 2022 and beyond.
- Invite to the reopening event: You and 4 of your mates will be invited to attend the reopening party of The Underground UTS in 2022, plus the first round of drinks will be on us!
So whatcha waiting for? Get designing for the Underground Food Court Design Project. Submissions open Monday 1 Nov and close 5pm Friday 3 December.
Submit your design concept:
Please review the design requirements outlining the parameters and specifications to ensure you are familiar with the scope of the project before submitting your design concept:
Design Concept Requirements:
To ensure that the design will be suitable and fit for a student space, the design concept submitted will need to fall within the following themes:
- Sense of community
- Local cultures/stories
The Underground UTS is made up of 6 alcoves where the proposed designs will be placed.
Please see below reference for guidance on scale of murals:
- Designs can be submitted in the form of a PDF, photo or design file
- Artwork specifications for small alcove is 2.88m x 1.22m (main wall) plus 1.36m x 1.22m (sides)
- Artwork specifications for large alcove is 7.18m x 1.36m (main wall) plus 1.36m x 1.22m (sides)
*Please note: if your design has been shortlisted, you have the option to print or paint your design on the mural.
**Submitted artwork must not contain any third-party created content (such as the UTS logo, any third-party logos or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights), without the written authorisation or license from the content owner.
There’ll be a panel of ActivateUTS stakeholders who will be reviewing all submissions. The submission will the considered based on the following criteria:
- Originality (uniqueness, new ideas)
- Aesthetic Quality (composition, colour/tones)
- Creativity (has the artist shown a sense of creative licence?)
- Concept application (how well does the design fit in with the concept themes of diversity/sense of community/local stories/sustainability?)
The main objective is to create a versatile space for students to hang out, the design must also be fun and inviting for the visual senses.
The top 7 entries will be shortlisted and we will contact the winners to proceed to the next step.
Winners will be announced by Wednesday 15 December.
Things to avoid in your design:
- Poor colour or image quality
- Incomplete designs
- Juvenile or otherwise inappropriate work
- Refrain from politically controversial designs
- Plagiarism is not tolerated
- Any logos (including UTS logo) or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights
All current UTS and UTS College (domestic and international) students are eligible to enter.
Entries for the Underground Food Court Design Project closes at 5PM, Friday 3 December 2021.
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make edits to your submission once it’s been submitted via the Underground Food Court Design Project Google form. We encourage you to triple check your submission before clicking ‘Submit’.
No. All designs must be original and must not include any 3rd party logos or designs.
All submissions will be reviewed by the ActivateUTS Project Team to assess based on the criteria mentioned above.
Participants can submit up to two entries per person. Each entry must be substantially different design concepts.
Once your design has been shortlisted, executing your design onto the space will take place between mid Dec-Jan. Specific dates will be confirmed later this year.
No, you cannot knock down walls or change the structure of the space
Terms and Conditions:
- To enter you must submit your design in line with the ‘Submission Requirements’ via the Expression of Interest form before 5PM, Friday 3 December 2021.
- All designs submitted must be designer’s original work and must not have been published elsewhere.
- Entrants must ensure that to the best of their knowledge their entry is an original idea; that if you are submitting on behalf of a peer, you must be authorised by the owner of the design to enter the design; and that the design does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party.
- Submitted designs must not contain any third-party created content (such as the UTS Logo, any third-party logos or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights), without the written authorisation or license from the content owner.
- The decision of the ActivateUTS Project Team is final, and no further correspondence will be required.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- ActivateUTS are not responsible for any loss, damage or non-receipt of entries however so caused.
- ActivateUTS are not responsible for any expenses incurred by entrants in connection with their participation in the Underground Rejuvenation Design Project and will not return any materials submitted to the Design Competition.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced, or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- Participants can submit maximum two entries per person, each entry must be substantially different design ideas.
- All eligible entrants will be notified if they are finalists in the project on Wednesday 15 December 2021 with further instructions on how to proceed to the next phase.
- Submissions that have not abided by the Underground Food Court Design Project rules and requirements are therefore deemed ineligible will not proceed to the judging process and will not be eligible for the winning positions.
- Entrants grant ActivateUTS permission to contact them using the information provided on the entry form, including name, email address, and phone number.
- By expressing your interest in this design project, the participant agrees to the condition that any artwork submitted for the project may be used by the organisers for not-for-profit advocacy and promotional purposes, including but not limited to promotions across UTS, ActivateUTS channels.
- Entrant retains ownership of the artwork, but as entrants submit their design concept for the Underground Food Court Design Project, UTS and ActivateUTS is entitled to publish, distribute, and use the submitted artwork in any manner it thinks fit, and, in addition may make such changes, adaptations, arrangements, substitutions, deletions and additions of, from, in and to the artwork as it thinks fit. In exercising these rights, ActivateUTS agrees not to cause changes to be made to the artwork that are of a derogatory nature.
- Any artwork used by the organisers will be credited to the designer/designers.
- Any artwork that is inappropriate or contains vulgarity will be disqualified from the competition at the discretion of the competition organisers.
- ActivateUTS reserve the right to disqualify entries. ActivateUTS also reserve the right to remove any entry information or comments that they deem objectionable or obscene.
- It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final, and that the participant agrees to abide by these rules.
- Participants are bound by UTS policies, ActivateUTS policies, and any relevant state and/or national legislation.