Want to see your design on UTS merch? Now’s your chance to design the next UTS tote bag!
ActivateUTS is excited to host the UTS Student Design Competition this May. An online competition that allows students to design the next UTS tote bag. The winning design will be printed and sold at the UTS Store for a limited time
Showcase your creativity and artistic talent for your chance to win mega bragging rights and prize money. All you need to do is create an original design representing this year’s theme, 'Sustainability'.
From there, our expert panel of judges will shortlist the entries and all students will have the opportunity to vote for the design they want printed. The design with the most votes wins.
Submissions open Monday 3 May and close 5PM Sunday 23 May.
- First prize: The winning design will be printed on the next limited edition UTS tote bag to be sold at the UTS Store! You’ll also receive a $250 EFTPOS Gift Card and a $100 ActivateUTS Voucher, and of course, a free tote bag with your design on it.
- Second prize: $150 EFTPOS Gift Card and $75 ActivateUTS Voucher
- Judges Choice prize: $100 EFTPOS Gift Card and $50 ActivateUTS Voucher
So whatcha waiting for? Get designing. Submissions open Monday 3 May and close 5pm Sunday 23 May.
The UTS logo will be printed on a separate area of the tote bag. Please see below for detail submission requirements:
- Submitted designs must be submitted in EPS file vector format or PDF (no watermarks permitted on design)
- Colour format: The preference is PMS colour however, RGB, CMYK is also accepted*
- Artwork specifications: 250mm (w) x 200mm (h) View the sample template here.
*Please note: if your design has been chosen to become the design for the next UTS tote bag, final production colour may vary slightly from original work due to the colour conversions.
**Submitted artwork must not contain any third-party created content (such as the UTS logo, any third-party logos or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights), without the written authorisation or license from the content owner.
There’ll be eight judges judging all submissions. The submission with the most points out of a total of 120, after the judge’s tally, wins. Judging will be based on the following:
- Originality (uniqueness, new ideas)
- Aesthetic Quality (composition, colour/tones)
- Creativity (has the artist shown a sense of creative licence?)
- Visual appeal (do the colours bade well together? Are they balanced? Is there a variety of colours used?)
- Use of space (how well did the artist utilise the space available?)
- Technique (execution of skill or ability, level of complexity, quality of skill)
- Overall impression and concert of design (what is the effect of the design in general? Does the design stand on its own as a complete work of art? Is there an inherent meaning/intent? What message does the design carry and how well is the idea conveyed?)
The top 10 entries will be shortlisted and posted on the ActivateUTS Facebook page . The designs with the most likes will determine the first and second award based on fan favourite. The submission with the most likes will be determined the winners respectively.
The judges will announce their choice on Friday 28 May.
Things to avoid in your design:
- Poor colour or image quality
- Incomplete designs
- Juvenile or otherwise inappropriate work
- Refrain from politically controversial designs
- Plagiarism is not tolerated
- Any logos (including UTS logo) or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights
Who is eligible to enter?
All current UTS and UTS College (domestic and international) students are eligible to enter.
When do I need to enter by?
Entries for the UTS Student Design Competition closes at 5pm on Sunday, 23 May.
Can I add more info or make edits to my submission?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make edits to your submission once it’s been submitted via the Google form. We encourage you to triple check your submission before clicking ‘Submit’.
How do I win the First or Second award?
Shortlisted entries will be shared on the ActivateUTS Facebook page on Tuesday 25 May. Voting will remain open until 12pm, Friday 28 May. The awards for First and Second place will be based on the submission with the most likes.
How do I win the Judges Choice award?
Entries will be judged based on a criteria (see previous section) by a panel of 8 members consisting of ActivateUTS Student Board Directors, UTS Staff and a Club Executive from the UTS Design Society. The entries will be judged between 24 May - 28 May.
Can I submit an entry multiple times?
Participants can submit up to two entries per person. Each entry must be substantially different design ideas.
Can I submit an entry as a team?
Yes, team entries are allowed. You can submit designs as an individual or as a team. Team members may also submit one individual entry of their own, however these designs must be substantially different from the team design. Any prizes won by a team will be distributed to the team leader designated on the submission form.
- To enter you must submit your file in line with the ‘Submission Requirements’ via the Design Competition form before 5PM, Sunday 23 May 2021.
- All artwork submitted must be designer’s original work and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other competition.
- Entrants must ensure that to the best of their knowledge their entry is an original idea; that if you are submitting on behalf of a peer, you must be authorised by the owner of the design to enter the design in the competition; and that the design does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party.
- Submitted artwork must not contain any third-party created content (such as the UTS Logo, any third-party logos or other trademarks, copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights), without the written authorisation or license from the content owner.
- The decision of the judges is final, and no correspondence will be entered.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- ActivateUTS are not responsible for any loss, damage or non-receipt of entries however so caused.
- ActivateUTS are not responsible for any expenses incurred by entrants in connection with their participation in the Design Competition and will not return any materials submitted to the Design Competition.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced, or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- Participants can submit maximum two entries per person, each entry must be substantially different design ideas (Team entry count as 1 entry for every team member).
- Participants can submit designs as an individual or as a team. Team members may also submit one individual entries of their own, however these designs must be substantially different from the team design. Any prize won by a team will be distributed to the team leader designated on the submission form.
- All eligible entrants will be notified if they are finalists in the competition on Sunday 23 May, 2021 and all shortlisted artwork will be on display in the digital exhibition from Tuesday 25 May 2021.
- Submissions that have not abided by the Design competition rules and requirements and are therefore deemed ineligible will not proceed to the judging process and will not be eligible for the winning positions.
- The first and second prizes will be awarded to the entries determined by fan favourites on the ActivateUTS Facebook Page. The third prize (Judges Choice Prize) will be determined by the judging panel in consideration of the ‘Judging Criteria’.
- Entrants grant ActivateUTS permission to contact them using the information provided on the entry form, including name, email address, and phone number.
- By submitting an entry, the participant agrees to the condition that any artwork submitted for the contest may be used by the competition organisers for not-for-profit advocacy and promotional purposes, including but not limited to promotions across UTS, ActivateUTS channels.
- Entrant retains ownership of the artwork, but as entrants enter this competition with their work, UTS and ActivateUTS is entitled to publish, distribute, and use the submitted artwork in any manner it thinks fit, and, in addition may make such changes, adaptations, arrangements, substitutions, deletions and additions of, from, in and to the artwork as it thinks fit. In exercising these rights, ActivateUTS agrees not to cause changes to be made to the artwork that are of a derogatory nature.
- Any artwork used by competition organisers will be credited to the designer/designers.
- Any artwork that is inappropriate or contains vulgarity will be disqualified from the competition at the discretion of the competition organisers.
- ActivateUTS reserve the right to disqualify entries. ActivateUTS also reserve the right to remove any entry information or comments that they deem objectionable or obscene.
- It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final, and that the participant agrees to abide by these rules.
- Participants are bound by UTS policies, ActivateUTS policies, and any relevant state and/or national legislation.